Richard Swart, PhD
Global Crowdfunding and FinTech Advisor | Board Member | Expert Consultant
I help everyone from startups to the Bill Gates foundation make sense of evolving models of crowdfunding and how to profit in this industry.
Recognized global authority on FinTech, Alternative Finance and Crowd Innovation. Academic work bridges social impact and FinTech innovation. Have held a variety of fellowships, board seats and research appointments at leading academic institutions in the US and UK. Advising and consulting work has included family offices, large funds, major international foundations (Bill and Melinda Gates, Rockefeller Foundation, etc.), Fortune 500 companies, the World Bank, governments, and research institutions globally.
Current serve on Investment Committee of Wood, Hat & Silver. Formerly with Grow America Ventures and Startup America.
The revolutions in FinTech and cooperative finance including crowdfunding and marketplace lending are leading to massive disruption in capital formation and access to capital. The question that drives much of my work is how to help institutions profit from these changes without exacerbating the digital divide. Whether training NGOs in Africa or working with venture-backed startups in Silicon Valley, I have an intense focus on helping clients adapt to and profit from the tectonic changes in our financial systems and networks. Current projects include:
- Disrupting seed investing through crowd based intelligence and rapid ideation models
- Identifying how family offices can leverage crowdfunding and new online public offerings to de-risk and streamline direct investing esearching FinTech's impact on credit unions and other social finance institutions
- Working with philanthropies and universities to understand how crowdfunding models are can help transform their development efforts Identifying how the interaction of regulatory bodies is causing unprecedented costs and increasing risk for US-based financial institutions
- Research on supply chain finance innovation for global development
- Continued work on increasing access to capital and job creation in minority and rural business communities
- Public Policy work
Chief Strategy Officer
November 2015 - present
Visiting Research Fellow
November 2016 - present
Wood, Hat & Silver, L.L.C.
March 2017 - present
July 2015 - present
Member of the Global Alternative Finance Leadership Board
Cambridge Centre for Alternative Finance, Cambridge Judge Business School
December 2015 - present
Member Board of Directors
July 2016 - present
Advisor and Consultant
January 2014 - present
Advisory Board Member
May 2014 - present
Vice President, Founding Board Member
CrowdFunding Professional Association
April 2012 - present
January 2016 - present
Foundation Board Member
March 2014 - present
Board of Advisors
Collective Changes - Global Mentoring
June 2014 - present
1991 - 1992
Completed a post-graduate fellowship in cybernetics and epistemology, focused on knowledge creation in complex networks. PhD is in Management Information Systems and have multiple other graduate and undergraduate degrees.